Friday 27 April 2012

Shark Cage Diving

After storms river, we headed back to Cape Town for four days. Here we said goodbye to some members of the truck family and picked up six new joiners. I didn't do much in the way of tourism here instead, I settled for some RnR and took in the cities restaurants and shops.
On the third day, I decided to get adventurous! A few of us woke up early and drove off to the beach to see some sharks. Being in the shark cage was quite terrifying! I was more worried about claustrophobia than I was of the sharks! Inside the cage you have very little room for your head above water so if a big wave comes, you have to hold your breath or you'll drink the water! It was not easy to coordinate the breathing with the waves and the people yelling at you to dive down and look left, right or straight ahead! The visibility was bad and the view of the sharks was better from the boat than it was from the cage. We went in the bitter cold water at 15.3 degrees celsius and stayed in the cage for about 40 minutes. I'll have to borrow some pictures from a friend because my underwater camera died a fast death and I didn't get my own pics of the sharks! So, those photos will follow. Here are the few I managed to take! The last one is looking out from the cage!

No comments:

Post a Comment