Friday 18 May 2012

The Great Zim Ruins

After a few days with the lions we headed off the the Great Zim Ruins. Great Zimbabwe is a ruined city that was once the capital of the Kingdom of Zimbabwe, which existed from approximately 1100 to 1400. The site is huge and at its peak could have housed up to 18,000 people. The stone walls here are all built without mortar and reach heights as high as five meters.The according to Wikipedia the monument caused great controversy amongst the archaeological world, with political pressure being put upon archaeologists by the government of Rhodesia to deny its construction by black people. Great Zimbabwe has since been adopted as a national monument by the Zimbabwean government, with the modern state being named after it. According to our guide, Zimbabwe means house of stone. The word "Great" distinguishes the site from the many hundreds of small ruins, known as Zimbabwes.

I was sitting on top of this rock peak known as the King's balcony when i received word that Maia Elizabeth Hackl was born! Looking over the great valley I had a cry. This is the one time I really missed something huge at home. I wish I could have been there with my friend Sara when the baby came. Welcome baby Maia... I love you already!

No comments:

Post a Comment