Friday 23 December 2011

Manantali

The next morning after packing up, we continued down the road to a small town of Manantali. We needed to go shopping at the market for our evening meal. It just so happens, we pulled up right outside the school and all of the children came racing out to meet us. They were eager to play with us and have their pictures taken. The teacher had no choice but to watch the chaos that ensued! In the end, some of the older kids who could speak French came to talk to us. I asked if I could see their school and they lead me happily to a small shack just beyond the truck. The teacher called the kids to attention and I explained to them why we were passing through and she translated into their local language. The teacher was happy to have the visit and told me they almost never get visitors like us! She was also very happy to show me her laminated alphabet that had just arrived via donation and says it is making her job way easier! Wow.... that alphabet is the only teaching resource she has. Sure made me think twice about how easy my life is, even my work life! I told the class I was a teacher in Canada and that we didn't want to disrupt the learning! The big kids went back to their lessons but the little ones hung around for more photos and giggles until we left. What a beautiful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment