Friday 9 September 2011

Beijing- Summer Palace -August 19th

Yesterday, I took Jode's advice and headed out via taxi to the Summer Palace. What an amazing place! This imperial Chinese garden makes one realize just what a major "world civilization" China has been for some time. The summer palace is a huge park area with many temples and buildings that lies about 15km's from the center of the city and it has a long history. The emperor Qianlong built the garden of clear ripples between 1750-1764. The palace are suffered damage during the second opium war and was later reconstructed by Emperor Guangxu for use by Empress Cixi. The Empress enjoyed lavish birthday parties here and renovated the palace extensively. She is said to have angered the people by spending money frivolously in a time when the money was needed elsewhere. This palace rivals the palace of Versailles and I may even go as far as to say it is more beautiful, and more sophisticated in it's artwork and beauty.


In the Palace area there is a street along a canal called the Suzhou market street. In History, this street was an area where the Emperor and his family could "pretend" to enjoy a day out on the town, in the markets, a normal life! Nowadays, the street houses shops and all the salesman are dressed in outfits from the 1700's. This is one of the most amazing things I have ever seen! I felt as though I had stepped through time... Into an area unlike anything I have ever seen. The weeping willow trees are breathtaking!
















After stopping to listen to the flute music and taking in this amazing street, I stumbled upon an amazing garden called the garden of harmonious pleasures. It had lotus flowers, and weeping willow trees, not to mention amazing architecture. I sat here mesmerized by the beauty of it for a good while. In fact this garden, brought tears to my eyes.













Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment